Next-Generation Modems: A Professional Guide to DSL and Cable Modems
Prices may incl. VAT *
Last refresh Aug/29/2018 11:34 AM
A comparative guide to the technologies, capabilities, and costs of next-generation desktop connectivity With the advent of cable modems and Digital Subscriber Lines (DSLs), modem technology has entered a new and highly sophisticated realm that is light-years beyond PC modems. Integrating and interoperating at high transmission levels with telephone and cable broadcast infrastructure to allow for faster, clearer transmission of data-intensive Web pages, DSLs and cable modems are competing for attention in this massive emerging market. For network managers, LAN administrators, and corporate planners charged with purchasing, installing, and troubleshooting last-mile technology for their organizations, Gilbert Held details what you'll need to know to make informed choices for the future. Offering simple explanations and in-depth comparisons, this book considers the whole range of strategic, technical, and investment concerns, from cost analysis and bandwidth limitations to suitability for various business and residential applications. Held discusses why a new generation of modems is needed and why those modems require a different infrastructure from those that transmit data over the PSTN. The fundamentals of DSLs are presented along with a look at how cable modems operate. And a comprehensive comparison of DSL and cable modem technology is provided that covers their advantages and disadvantages as well as their potential use for business and residential subscribers.
This book contains everything you'll need to know about next- generation modems including:
* Information on how infrastructure and content variables map to Web wait time
* Transmission fundamentals for current modem operations
* Discussions on how different types of DSLs overcome bandwidth limitations
* A survey of the DSL family
* A tutorial in the cable TV infrastructure
* Coverage of the cable modem standard
* Comparative analysis of costs, throughput, and suitability for various applications
Latest products for Price Comparison
* The prices and shipping costs may have changed since the last update. It is technically not possible to update the prices in real time. The time of purchase on the Website of the seller is used as the reference.